Moments and Memories

Moments and Memories

Saturday 19 November 2011

Josh 16 1/2 Months - Refuse to Drink Milk

Almost a week when Josh start to refuse any milk that we offer him.
Honestly, I plan to weaning when he reach 18 Months. So early July, I start to giving him formula milk or fresh milk and hoping the intake increase gradually.

Total intake of milk for kid having 3 times meal shall be: 20oz - around 600ml.
Today, for having Josh drink 400ml milk, is like punishing him for a decade.
He will shut his mouth, running away, screaming, push away your hand, etc only for you to stop.

First, I consider his stomach might be full. But, when I offer him in early morning (after poop), he also refuse it.
I offer him fresh milk - full cream, to chocolate milk, to honey formula milk and nothing work!
Grandma make a fresh strawberry milk and he drink only for his lip to wet.
He seem to loose interest on milk and be fascinate by all new food surround him.

What I'm trying to do this days to increase the milk intake (hope for maintain the balance of nutrition inside his body):
1. Serve Yogurt 1-2 small cup a day
2. Put Cheese on his food
3. Baking Cake contain milk and milk
4. Making Milk Pudding
5. Let him watch his music video and give him a milk pack in 200ml then press the packaging gently, so the milk spurt directly form the straw to his mouth. Still working good as of now cause I can put the straw in corner of his mouth where the teeth has not totally grown (no biting).
6. ............

I can't imagine the situation if baby below 6 months refuse to drink milk, while the main food for them is only milk. This real happen and I read several discussion about this. I can say It was a blessing that I can breastfeed Josh from his birth till now.
Hope the condition getting better day by day.
If you read this and face the same situation, please share. Thanks :).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erlina,
    I came accross your blog while searching "Celebration of Light" in google. I enjoy reading your blog, especially on the activities with toddler part.
    I think it's ok for a toddler not to drink milk as long as he receive calcium intake from food. In fact, My friend is limitting her son's daily milk intake into one bottle only (eventhough her son still loves milk). She said too much milk is not good.

    Bonnita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnita,
    Thanks for leaving comment yah ^^/.
    Yups, something too much is not good.
    Nowdays, I'm on the stage for balancing Josh's nutrition from the food consumption each day.
    My two cents: Depending to the milk for long time surely not recommended :). What I found,it's a challenge for having a child consume vegetable (while calcium come from green veggie also :p). Beside put the veggie on 3 times meal, preparing a nicely drink veggie juice will be helped much.

    For the Celebration of Light event, just give it a try with the kids. I mean an outdoor activities sometime better than indoor - hmm visiting a mall (Jakarta need a lot of outdoor space than mall *sigh*)

    ReplyDelete