Moments and Memories

Moments and Memories

Wednesday 3 October 2012

How to introduce the Bitter Melon to 2years old Toddler.


It is always a good thing to introduce the flavor to our kids.
Let them know, their tounge could taste sweet, sour, salty, even a bitter taste.
But yes, not all kiddo like a bitter stuff, sometimes adult too!

One of the fruit (yes, I thought it was a vegetable, but it is categorized as fruit) that give you a bitter taste is Bitter Melon (reflected on the name already :p)

Usage:
From my childhood, my mom told me that I have a sweet blood, so the mosquito like to bite me, therefore I need to eat a lot of bitter stuff including the bitter melon.
Me: Yiaks mom, no thanks, better let the mosquito kiss me :p

But Hey, Just now I search the usage of Bitter Melon, one of them is used as antimalarial. Laboratory studies have confirmed that species related to bitter melon have antimalarial activity, though human studies have not yet been published. So my mom was not totally wrong then :p.

Below is the table nutrition for bitter melon. I found it from http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/bitter-gourd.html. Beside the usage, it's mention the web that some people may not tolerable to the bitterness and it's suggested that to parboiling or soaking in the salt water (10minutes).

How to process:

But then, my mom always know how to process something not a good taste for us into an eatable stuff.

I always love my mom cooking and  I love how my mom process the Bitter Melon.
Even Daddy want to eat it.

So here the recipe: Stir Fries Bitter Melon with Egg.
- Bitter Melon (1pcs)
- Onion (half)
- 3 Eggs (you can put more).
- pinch of salt.
- Vegetable oil

1. Cut the Bitter Melon into two side and clean it. Then Cut it into a thin Slice.
(My mom suggest that I can put it in the boiling water for few second, to reduce the bitter taste - see above website suggestion, even my mom was not high tech, but somehow their information really accurate ^^)
2. Cook the Onion till soft then put the thin slices bitter melon.
3. Don't forget a pinch of salt.
4. Put the egg and tradaaa, done.

Here the picture.


P.S: Mostly I introduce the new food on the lunch time ^^. Reason: Josh is much more picky on the noon time regarding to the food.
So far, there is no allergic shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment