Moments and Memories

Moments and Memories

Friday 27 January 2012

Fever - Bye Bye?!

We started these Monday (17 January 2012) with Josh got a Fever. Yeay, a panic mode on!
But, Don't say "Bye Bye Fever" too soon.


We managed to visit a doctor on the night as we usually do whenever we doubt of something happen to Josh.
Josh fever last more than a day (which was never happen before), getting up and down, little cough and having a runny nose.


The first advise came out from a doctor was:


FEVER was A Sign - symptoms and NOT a Disease!


Yes, I agree with this.
We usually misunderstood about the Fever, when our lil one having a fever, we quickly search for a medicine to cure it. Situation might be complex when you live with parent and their grandchild get sick.


What I can conclude from the article out there, Fever comes when our body immune system was fighting against something strange, and part of our brain - hypothalamus (the controller of body temperature) increase our body temperature. Fighter shall get rest, that why, our body temperature going down.
Fever might indicate serious illness but usually fever is cause by common infection which are not serious.


Fever is our friend? Can't believe it hah! But let me tell you more:
* Some of bacteria and viruses can't live in the higher temperature and then more easily destroyed by the immune system
* The higher body temperature helps the body to ward off the infection.


So when we shall worried about the fever?
As a mother with a child, equipped with a Thermometer is a MUST.
I prefer the ear digital thermometer for it's handy usage and obtain a reading in second. 
Price might be higher. FYI - in 2010 - Omron ear digital thermometer cost around IDR 400.000,- while the Omrom digital (for rectal usage or armpit) cost around IDR 60.000,-.


Doctor suggested me to do temperature reading every 4 hours.
Again temperature reading isn't the only indication whether fever is serious.
Age and Behavior do matter!
Age: Fever on Baby below 2 months old - Contact your doctor immediately.
Behavior: If your baby still playing and feeding normally even on the fever condition that might not cause big alarm.


Treatment:
According to my visitation, I being suggested:
Below 38 till 38.5 - Rest, Drink plenty water, Wear appropriately dress, Warm water bath  
Above 38.5 - I can give a paracetamol (Acetaminophen) with dosage 1.2ml drops for Josh 11 Kg up. Remember: Right Dosage connected to the body weight and it is important. So contact your doctor to get the right dosage.



Dosage rules for paracetamol:
In general, children's dosages are based on a single dose of 10mg paracetamol per kilogram bodyweight, which can be repeated 4-6 hourly, not exceeding four doses per 24 hours. (pharmweb.net ; australianprescriber)


i.e. I used Sanmol Drops - 0.6ml contains 60mg of paracetamol.
Josh was 11kg up - means the right dosage for him might be 
11kg * 10mg = 110mg

Around 1.1ml to 1.2ml drops shall be recommended for the effectiveness.


Anyway, read the leaflet instruction and consult with the doctor if you unsure how to calculate as over doses may harm our children.


Keep in mind - fever reducing medicine only bring the temperature body down temporarily. Fever might be back again, until the body clear from the infection.


For Josh condition at that moment, Doctor said that we might get back to her whenever the fever last than 4 days.


Acetaminophen(Paracetamol) vs Ibuprofen:
Both are the common pain medication in the world. Then What will I choose to used?
Ibuprofen works slightly faster and longer, and it also reduces inflammation ehow.com
Paracetamol has less harmful effect related to the stomach problem compare to the Ibuprofen.
Ibuprofen isn't recommended for babies under 6 months or for those who are dehydrated or have persistent vomiting. 
From my rational, I will choose to use the Paracetamol as my first aid and see the progress and consult with the doctor.

 A good reading using between paracetamol vs ibuprofen -> heath.wa.au


Here back to Josh condition.
The morning at 9am, I brought Josh with me on the car. On the middle of my activity, I felt that Josh fever getting higher (no thermometer with me on the car! 1st Mistake - whenever you feel your child might get fever, you shall bring the thermometer everywhere with you). 
Good thing, he still want to eat and finished his lunch box. While his eye and face showing tiredness.
On the way back home at 11am, I quickly went to the drug store and brought the Sanmol (paracetamol), and using the leaflet instruction, I gave him 0.6ml Dosage - a lower dosage (I just follow my believe that lower dosage better than over dosage. If you see the dosage requirement from the doctor, I'm only gave half of the dosage, which no wonder the body temperature was effectively going down).
He slept and lay down on the bed all the time and no mood for playing (See above explanation about behavior.) - No good signal!
Around 3pm, I gave another 0.6ml dosage as hid body temperature getting higher (again based on head to head manual feeling measurement, no thermometer on my mother house - my other mistake forgot to quickly brought in the drug store).
At noon when daddy arrived we bring Josh to doctor and suggested with the treatment above.
On midnight, Josh awake and couldn't sleep and bit cranky, and his body temperature was higher (I have a digital thermometer with me now) around 38.8 on the armpit, So I decided to give him another dosage recommended by the doctor.
The 2nd Day, Josh got better. Lower Fever (lower than 38.5) still be with him, but he seem slowly back to normal, want to play, mood for eat (even so picky), etc. Then I just offer him plenty of water, have him a warm water bath, and bring him to sleep.
After 4 days, he back to normal, even before this writing done. So I didn't manage to see the doctor anymore. Another good thing, we can have a nice Chinese New Year together :)


Source for reading:


P.S. All above was based on my personal experienced.
I believe all mother will do the best for their kids so you might agree or not with above writing, and you are still welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment